Transitions can be difficult for a child with SEN and we take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.
- Transition from Nursery to Reception Class is a big step for both our children and their parents. We aim to support our families through this important stage in a number of ways. Some of our children transition smoothly from Nursery to Reception Class gradually over the final Summer Term. Mrs Crellin our Nursery teacher ensures that children make regular visits to Reception Class and are familiar with Reception staff through shared provision and special events throughout the year. Parents will be invited to visit school for an induction event. During induction parents will meet all the staff and listen to short presentations about the reception class
- When moving classes in school, information will be passed on to the new class teacher in advance and in most cases, a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher. All Individual Educational Plans will be shared with the new teacher.
- Children with Statements of Special Educational Needs or Education, Health and Care Plans (Single Plans) will have a review in the Autumn term before they move to secondary school to discuss the transition. You will be told by February which secondary school they will attend the following September.
- When your child moves to secondary school, staff from Falla Park will discuss the specific needs of your child with the SENCo of their secondary school.
- If your child is moving to another school we will contact the SENCo at the new school and ensure they know about any special arrangements or support that needs to be made for your child. We will also make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.
Please note – if your child has an Education, Health and Care Plan they must have an annual review before they move.
If you would like to discuss your SEND requirements in detail please contact the school to arrange an appointment.